Sunday, June 10, 2012

Nausea, Skinny Bones, and Feeling Better

We haven't posted anything since Wednesday or Thursday mainly because I haven't been able to concentrate on writing because of all the nausea from the chemo-drugs. I would have to say that this is the worst part of the treatment is the nausea. However, I think I came out on top and won this round because I did not throw up and I have managed to eat regular food. The nausea didn't hit me until Wednesday and has continued pretty much through Saturday. It seems I continue to lose weight and I am probably just being self-conscious but I think I'm becoming too much of a skinny bones.  The best way to describe it is I feel I have the rear end of an 80 year old man...completely flat and/or non-existent. It could always be worse though, I could be on the other end of the spectrum and have a booty bigger than J-Lo's.  Hopefully I'll be able to get some walking and exercise in this next week to start rebuilding my physique that can only be compared to that of Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson's.  Overall today I am feeling a whole lot better then I did when I got home on Friday and I take that as a good sign that things are looking on the up and up.

I have talked a lot about faith in my other postings and it just seems to be the perfect theme for my batter with cancer. I read President Henry B. Eyring's talk from the previous LDS General Conference. He said "many of you are now passing through physical, mental, and emotional trials that could cause you to cry out as did one great and faithful servant of God I knew well. His nurse heard him exclaim from his bed of pain, when I have tried all my life to be good, why has this happened to me?”

I think that is safe to say that we've all felt that way at some point in our life.  However, I do not believe that it is the attitude that we should have.  President Eyring states that long before these trials come our way we need to build a strong foundation of faith in our lives. He stated that "if the foundation of faith is not embedded in our hearts, the power to endure will crumble."  This happens through making right choices.  Some of the things I can think of  are obeying God's commandments, being a loving husband and father, and serving others.

Towards the end of his talk, President Eyring recounts his mother's battle with cancer. At her funeral it was said that they passed through this trial not because she had done something wrong, but because God wanted her to be polished just a little more. I have thought about that many times and if I am being polished to be a better person, a better husband, a better father, I accept that and the Lord's will and I will continue to put my faith and trust in the Lord's hands.

1 comment:

Le'o Hafoka said...

Whitesides, you and Gloria are so inspirational. Thanks so much for sharing your testimony and faith. I can see that not much has changed since the good ol NJMM days. We're praying for you and your family. BTW, it was great to see your family picture in the Ensign!! Your kids are beautiful.