Saturday, June 30, 2012

June 23rd - Annual David H Whitesides Golf Event

When my brother Ben and I were younger we use to go golfing for Father's Day with my dad and with my grandpa or Papa as we so lovingly called him.  It was a great time for us to bond and have fun. Although I think the funnest part was listening to Papa curse when he would whiff or slice.  He was sincerely upset sometimes at how he played so it was even funnier trying not to laugh, but who wouldn't laugh at hearing your grandpa say "hells bells" or "hell almighty" or "dammit all."  Those are memories that I will be forever grateful for.

About three years ago my brother Ben and I talked about getting a tradition going with all the Whitesides brothers and of course dad to go golfing at least once a year around Father's Day. It has been an awesome bonding time together and it is something I look forward to all year long. This year was no different. We weren't going to let the cancer get us down and we golfed all nine holes and I was impressed with myself going all the way. Of course I slept quite a bit after but it was definitely worth it.




This same day after having a great time golfing, we went up to my parents house for lunch. What a surprise when I found the whole family there waiting to congratulate me on getting my MBA. My graduation was to be in Portland, Oregon on June 16th, but because of the circumstances of the cancer and treatment, if wasn't possible for us to travel up there so my family threw me a party here which was a lot better being surrounded by those that I love most.


No comments: