Monday, June 18, 2012

Father's Day...Awesome!

Today was my first father's day as a dad. It was one of the best days in so many ways. I was able to get lots of kisses from my beautiful wife Gloria and my Zoe Cakes. Gloria had traced Zoe's hand in my card and it melted my heart. She also gave me a pillow that says "My Dad is My Best Friend." Needless to say today I have been kind of a cry baby but tears of happiness and gratitude.  Being a husband and father is the greatest role I could have ever hoped or asked for.


I went to Church today and it was a great to hear uplifting words and prayer. It reinvigorates me for the coming week ahead. I followed the doctor's orders though and to avoid a lot of contact I arrived late and left early even though I would have loved to stay and shake heads and shared hugs with all the wonderful members of the Emigration Trail Branch. They have been so wonderful.  In the LDS culture people always say that the congregation that you go to is a ward or branch family and that has ever been so true as they have been there to mow the lawn, weed the garden, bring wonderful meals, clean the house, and just to let us know they are thinking about us and how much they love us. We feel very blessed to be a part of the Emigration Trail Branch Family. We Love You Too Emigration Trail!

To finish this post, thinking about Father's Day I had time to think about my own father or Pops as I call him. I was so emotional today that all I could manage was a text to him telling him how much I love him and that he has been and always will be my HERO! I can say that all the good in me as a husband and a father is because I watched my dad all of those years how he treated my mom and us kids.  My dad taught me the importance of service and doing it because you love people. For about two or three years were were home teachers together and we really didn't teach very many lessons in all those years because we were always busy serving the families we were assigned by helping fix things. My dad is a jack of all trades and instead of putting on our white shirts and ties, we usually went home teaching in our work clothes, with tools in hand ready to fix an air conditioner, a swamp cooler, a fence, dishwasher, garbage disposal, and an array of other things. Pops, thank you for teaching me what it means to truly serve others!

2 comments:

Mamacita said...

You learned all those lessons well from dad and that is why you are the loving, kind and gentle father that you are to Zoe!!!!

Jona and Gloria + 1 said...

What an amazing father you are!!!! Zoe and I are so blessed!!!