Tuesday, October 29, 2013

November - December 2012 - Radiation Man

After my post-op appointment to Dr. Goff and a follow up visit to Dr. Johnson (Oncologist) it was decided since my cancer is rare and we want to make sure it stays gone and that it got such a butt kicking it never wants to show its face again, I would have post radiation and chemotherapy as a safeguard. I started radiation with Dr. Whipple and his amazing staff the first week of November everyday except Saturday and Sunday for six weeks completing it on December 13, 2012. 

Radiation is a different monster in itself in that the side effects creep up on you little by little at least in my case.  They map you out with tattoos, yes the permanent kind but not the ones you'd be ashamed to show your mother because these are just dots and they are made to save your life so I think momma would make an exception. Little by little the radiation wears on your skin and the areas close to where they are treating. The area they treated was near the heart and by the esophagus so within a few weeks everything I swallowed including water hurt like I was swallowing tiny needles with anything I ate so that made eating a chore by all means.  Maybe the perfect diet regime for anyone looking to lose weight because even though you are hungry you don't want that needle feeling so you try to eat less and less.  As they say all good things must come to an end and thankfully I like to say all bad things come to an end including radiation.  I have to compliment Dr. Whipple and his staff.  They were awesome to work with and celebrated my six weeks of radiation when completed.  They even let me have a knock out!!!


No comments: