Tuesday, October 29, 2013

November - December 2012 - A Little Chemo Goes A Long Way

As I mentioned in the post Radiation Man it was decided that I would do a few additional treatments of Chemotherapy to ensure better success of the cancer not returning. The good thing was I didn't need to be admitted to the hospital anymore for this chemo, the bad is well its chemo.  I started in conjunction with the radiation and did three days in a row of chemo out patient and then three weeks off.  This started in November and went through January 2013. Each time chemo would happen Wednesday-Friday and then I'd have the weekend to recover so I could work for three full weeks again before another round. A little chemo goes a long way because only 4 hours each day for three days is not that bad but the effects lasted a few weeks.  I'm not complaining just explaining how strong these drugs are. I can't begin to explain how blessed I was feeling at this point.  The surgery had been a success and I could start to see a light at the end of the tunnel in the sense that soon I would be done with all treatments. I was a little bummed about doing chemo the day after Christmas but hey I'm glad to have made it to another Christmas which many with cancer do not have that blessing. 

Dr. Johnson and his staff have been great to watch over me and make sure that my body is healthy that my levels are where they need to be in order so as not to have to worry about things like low white blood counts, infections, or low platelets. They have been amazing and I couldn't be happier to have them on my team to kick cancer's butt!  It was decided to do 4 more rounds of chemo and I only made it to three.  After the third the neuropathy in my feet had gotten so bad that I wasn't able to walk very well without appearing to be an old man.  So after three rounds Dr. Johnson left it up to me and I said I'll live with the decision to forgo one more round.  I finished chemotherapy on  December 28, 2013! What a great surprise when I got home the second love of my life my daughter Zoe. Thank you to the #1 love of my life, Gloria for being the true Rocky through all of this.  Your courage, composure, faith, and beautiful smile is one of the greatest medications that I had to keep me feeling well and to keep my spirits high. I LOVE YOU!


No comments: