Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Port-a-cath and Anniversary - May 30, 2012

Yesterday we met with Dr. Goff as a follow-up on my sternotomy and he said it has healed really well. I am still restricted to only lifting 10 lbs. so no picking up Zoe for another month.  This is the hardest part of it not being able to hold my baby girl, its okay it seems that she understands that daddy is sick and we still have fun rolling around on the floor.

Today I will be going into McKay-Dee and having a small out-patient surgery by Dr. Goff to insert a port-a-cath.  Basically they make an incision just below the collar bone, they thread a wire and tube into the vein and then sealed the skin so there is nothing exposed. Then when they hook me up for chemotherapy, they just feel for the bump and insert the needle and that is it. It will be nice so I don't have to worry about an IV, or getting the area wet or dirty. Then tomorrow we have another appointment with Dr. Johnson to start chemotherapy. We are thinking he'll start me on it this weekend or the first of next week. With that being said we probably will have our head shaving party this Friday or Saturday. I will let everyone know when.

I know we have miracles even today.  Many of them may be small miracles, but miracles nonetheless. Yesterday when Dr. Goff was explaining the procedure he said they usually install the port-a-cath on the left side because most people are right-handed and the port-a-cath can sometimes interfere with arm and hand mobility.  He said unfortunately, the vein on the left side has been narrowed by the tumor and so we'll have to insert the port-a-cath on the right side to make sure we have a clear and open vein to receive chemotherapy. He apologized and said "I wish you were left-handed" to which I replied "I am." He smiled as if he knew this was a miracle for me. I won't have to worry about any short-term loss of mobility in my left arm or hand.  I am grateful for these experiences.

Today marks our ninth anniversary. How fast time flies by.  I remember the day that Gloria and I were married in the Bountiful Temple. It was such a beautiful experience and I am so thankful to have such a loving wife. She is my best friend, my strength, and my everything. She is such a good sport because today we'll be spending our anniversary in the hospital.  She did say though that I need to beat this cancer and beat it good so that next year on our tenth anniversary we can be vacationing somewhere in another country looking back on this experience and how it has made us grow closer and looking to the future with great optimism.  Gloria, I love you with all my heart and I am so grateful to have spent these past nine years with you, and I look forward to many more years at your side looking into your beautiful eyes and enjoying that beautiful smile. Happy Anniversary!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Jona!

I just want you to know that you are an inspiration to me and my family! We get updates from Ben and Janessa frequently and they told me about your blog. I hope its okay with you if I read it! I've found myself in tears almost daily when I read your positive words and love for you wife and the gospel! You can beat this cancer and we will be cheering you on!

Ben asked if we wanted to shave our boys heads in your honor and we probably will do Landon (he is friends with Jayben) but my hubby Zak is already bald--so I guess that doesnt count!

Good Luck and you are in our prayers!

Kelly Mueller Erwin & Zak Erwin